Our agreement entitles you to unlimited 24/7 access to me via phone, email, and Slack. I return all messages no later than the next business day, although in practice response time is much quicker (particularly between 9am to 5pm PT, but also nights and weekends).
Meetings are scheduled in advance, typically take place over the phone, and are sometimes supplemented with online meeting and/or screen sharing software (e.g. Zoom).
Possible areas of involvement:
- Participation in an initial in-depth, in-person meeting to define long-term business goals, existing software architecture, and organizational challenges.
- Assess current staffing situation, identify gaps, and advise on appropriate remediation tactics (e.g., upskilling, hiring, firing)
- Regular meetings to discuss engineering leadership, culture, hiring, and process.
- Defining a process with your HR team for finding, recruiting, vetting, hiring, and onboarding engineers.
- Creating an internal messaging strategy that fosters a cohesive engineering culture.
- Working with product owners to define policies and processes for requirements gathering, feature prioritization, approvals, milestones, QA, releases, etc to provide visibility and control.
- Strategic and tactical advice based on a series of ongoing meetings with team leaders. These are individualized and mutually agreed upon. In addition, I'll serve as a sounding board as they work to achieve their business and technical goals.
- Situational responsiveness to needs that arise that you deem require my assistance, which are not covered elsewhere.
My fee is $10,000 USD per month, all inclusive (i.e., I arrange and pay for any necessary travel, administrative expenses, etc). Professional courtesy discounts are available for quarterly and annual arrangements. Participation is extremely limited. You can elect to be added to the waiting list if spots are not available.
Please book a time to discuss whether an advisory retainer would be a good fit.
(Don’t worry, this isn’t a high pressure sales call. I just like to make sure we’re a good fit before working together.)
I look forward to speaking with you.